Saturday, September 24, 2011

2x4 Candle holder.

Awhile back I picked up a whole car load of b grade lumber from menards.
 It just so happened that I also bought a whole candle making kit from a rummage sale.
Add those two together and I need candle holders!
so I started out by measuring the boards...
This is where math comes in. 
I really wished I would have payed attention in school but thank goodness for calculators!
so you divide the length by the number of holes you want to make.....
or just guess if you're like me.
Mine will hold nine tea lights, if I don't get pissed and cut off the end of the board!
 In attempts to make it even I made a grid.


You can see the markings I made here, I was about to give up on it.
then I just eyeballed it.


I started out with a hole bit to get the right size, this will not make the big hole you need, you will need to purchase (or borrow a spade bit, 1.5"or larger)

 After you make the initial hole guide, thing. you can go in with your spade but and drill it out.



After you drill and sand it you will have this wonderful specimen of cheapness!
I used my dremel to bore out the holes and smooth them out,
they holes are not even close to being perfect..... I'm okay with that.
I also noticed that the metal rings that hold the tea lights don't fit quite right. I would need to make the holes slightly larger but the candles fit just fine!
and yes I didn't have enough white tea lights so one yellow will have to do!
I did spray the candle holder with some spray paint to make it more shabby chic, or something....
Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. This is super cute! I like that you painted to wood white. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Saw Max!

    ReplyDelete