Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Antique Chandelier

The one thing I really wanted to find for the new house was some unique kind of
light fixture for the dining room.

The only problem is that most funky or antique light fixtures are really spendy.

I searched online and my favorite thrift stores for months, but nothing really spoke to me.

My mother has a cousin that owns an Antique store in the twin cities, even when I was a child I loved visiting his store and digging through the treasures!


As an adult, I had a hard time not buying everything in the store.

He would be pissed if he knew that I posted this, but he really is one of my favorite people!


Of course I found exactly what I was looking for as soon as I walked in.

There she was, thee most perfect chandelier I had ever seen.

Hanging right above my head was the light fixture I NEEDED!


Here she is taken down.
Old, dirty and in need of repairs, but she is perfect.
I really didn't care how much it was.
Of course being a relative, it was only $100, as a housewarming gift!
(For my high school graduation he gave me a beautiful art deco necklace. I still wear it for special occasions when I actually wear jewelry.)


They crystals were my favorite part, I've seen dozens of clear and even pink ones, but smokey gray??
I needed it.

Surprisingly all but one clear crystal were intact. 
They are actual glass so I figured I'd need to take out a loan to replace them.
$6 at a craft store and I had the replacement.

I cleaned up the crystals by soaking them in soapy water and 
giving them a once over with a soft new toothbrush.

Most the wires needed to be replaced, thanks to JoAnns I found headpins that matched perfectly!


The crystals were perfect and I only replaced the one that was broken, that happened to be clear.


I had a fiasco of a time hanging the crystals once the light was hung from the ceiling, 
but there was no way I was going to trust the builders with the crystals.
Boys will be boys.

Here she is in the day light!

I added some lower hanging crystals I found on clearance at JoAnns to add.

I just looped them over the arms.


Here is the afternoon view, with our temporary kitchen table.


It is low so we can't walk under it, but we'll have a table soon enough to put under it!

Thanks for stopping by!
W

No comments:

Post a Comment