Tuesday, April 14, 2015

DIY Mason Jar solar lamps.

About 5 years ago I decided I wanted solar lights, but after a huge hail storm half of the plastic globes broke on my cheap lights.

Great idea to have cheap lights, I know!

I then figured I could use up the five billion mason jars I had been hoarding, so I came up with the 
Mason jar solar lamps. 

5 years ago I hadn't seen anyone do it, so I had no clue how to make them.

I glued everything together and hoped for the best.

It actually worked for awhile!

 Until of course, it got windy and hailed again.....


Now that we have a new house I figured it was time to actually make them better.

I popped off the tops and bottoms and soaked the jars in acetone and scraped off the old glue a few days after they had been soaking.

I have seen all kinds of Mason jar solar lights, hanging, upside down, etc. 
But I didn't want to have to wire a bunch for hanging or buy the hooks to hang them on.

After thinking about what the heck I was going to use that was free, I remember that my dad would recycle old trophies for middle school events.

Trophies have wonderfully long threaded double ended rod, things.
okay I don't know what they really are called but my dad has a few hundred of them laying around.
Also the nuts and washers were all recycled from different things too!

I drilled holes in the bottom of each jar with a ceramic tile bit in the kitchen sink.
I put a nut and washer on each side of the jar and tightened them.
Slipping the black stem over the rod and it almost looks good!

Now all we need is a lawn and landscaping!

I've learned that trial and error and age can lead to some great crafts!

Thanks for stopping by!
W



No comments:

Post a Comment